Labrets can be a good option if you are interested in piercing. It is just that you will have to follow a proper aftercare process to keep it in a rocking state. Want to know how? Here’s your answer.
Are you looking for a funky style of body piercing?
Why go for any other piercing when you can get the best one. It is about one of the recent trends, i.e. having labrets. Why force yourself into a more severe and painful one like navel piercing. Just seen how labret has taken over the trends.
Basically, it is a type of body jewelry which is pierced through your labrum. So the name arises, labret piercing. This kind of piercing is done below the bottom lip and a few inches above the chin.
While it is one of the classiest choices available, you might suspect a little bleeding, swelling, bruising, or pain for up to some days. You can avoid the same by following a proper aftercare process. To help you more, here are some simple steps to boost the healing procedure.
- Avoid touching or changing jewelry: For some days do not touch or remove jewelry. This is must follow during the healing period. Remember, you are allowed to touch it during the cleaning process only. Along this, be careful while donning and doffing your clothing.
- Cleaning is important: First thing comes first; you need to rinse your mouth for 30 to 60 seconds with an alcohol free and antibacterial mouthwash. This has to be followed after your every meal and before you to sleep. Say a strict no to strong, alcohol-based mouthwash. It can cause irritation to your mouth and the piercing site. And make sure that you don’t wash it more than four or five times per day.
- Brush gently: You need to look for a soft brush and use fluoride based toothpaste. It is also advisable to use a new toothbrush on hand after you get your labret piecing. Actually, you need to keep your piercing away from bacteria. And your old brush might be a home to those micro organisms which if enter your mouth can lead to problem.
- Soaking will help: To boost the healing speed you can soak the exterior of the labret piercing. It can be repeated two and three times a day. For this you will need to prepare a warm saline solution and use it at the piercing site for between 5 and 10 minutes. You can dip a piece of clean gauze in saline solution and apply it directly. Later rinse the skin with water to remove salty residue.
- Paper towel: To keep it clean, you a paper towel and pat the skin dry gently. Avoid cloth towels for some days. It will snag the jewel and may also be a source of bacteria.
- Don’t scratch it: You need to watch for infection. If you notice a thin, light yellow liquid oozing from a new labret piercing, have a word with you piercer. Else this can lead to serious infection and itching. In the healing period, itching is quite common. But you need to resist that urge scratch else you will be in problem. The best thing you could do is keep a topical anesthetic handy like Dr. Numb. Why?
It comes with 5% lidocaine and is highly effective in treating itching sensation. You can apply it anytime of the day and it will block the nerve endings temporarily. So you will not feel any irritation.
Following these steps you can keep it in rocking state. Happy piercing!